Your legal stay in Poland

Notwithstanding the visa, after your coming to Poland you have to legalize your stay by applying for the temporary resident permit (TRP) before your visa expires. All international students staying in Poland longer than three months need to obtain TRP. The permit is issued for the period of your stay in Poland, but not longer than two years (usually for one year). It can be prolonged.

Evidence of the permit is the Temporary Residence Card (TRC) is an identity card for foreigners in Poland and it (with a passport included) allows passing the border as often as required without having a visa.

If you are an EU student, there is no need to apply for this card, you only need to register your stay in Lower Silesian Governor’s Office (Urząd Wojewódzki we Wrocławiu) in cases when your stay exceeds 90 days.

If you are a non-EU student, you need to apply for this card before your visa expires. Based on the visa type and its valid duration, you must be aware of all the aspects of your legal stay in Poland throughout  study period. Until the expiry date of your visa, your stay in Poland is legal, however in order to prolong it, you either need to travel back to your home country to apply for another visa before it expires, or apply for Temporary Residence Card while in Poland. Temporary Residence Card is granted within 4-5 months depending on complexity of the case. Original documents must be shown to the officer (Inspektor).

During the period when your application is being considered, you will be receiving letters from Inspektor, and make sure to follow and submit accurate information, and keep them. Also, while your application is being reviewed and that time your visa expires, you must not go out of Poland without getting a positive response and finally being granted residence permit. When your application is under consideration, and your visa is no longer valid, you are allowed to stay only within Poland until you get response from Urząd. You cannot travel in the Schengen zone either. If you cross the Polish border, you will not enter back without another visa issued by a Polish Embassy in your home country. Please familiarize yourself and read more about your legal status in Poland (depending on the citizenship you hold) in order to avoid unwanted situations. 


All documents in any other language than Polish should be translated by a certified translator into Polish language.

Please follow the link below and download "nowy wniosek o zezwolenie na pobyt czasowy":

In order to obtain any more information, please see the link:

Reservation of a visit for making a legalization of foreigners.

From the date of 24th of July 2017 reservation of a visit for making a legalization of foreigners' stay application via website becomes blocked.

In its place, we launch for our clients the possibility of telephone booking at the number : (+48) 71 340 61 63 11.00 – 14.00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and  Fridays.

Telephone registration of foreigners does not apply to applications submitted in DUW's delegations in Legnica, Jelenia Góra and Wałbrzych.

Rules of telephone registration, while applying for legalization of stay in the Passport and Customer Service:
1. While reserving a date of a visit, remember that applications for legalizing foreigners' stay are made during the legal stay of a foreigner in Poland.
2.  For the purpose of accomplishing your appointment, you must appear in room 0157 at the Passport and Customer Service Department of the Lower Silesian Voivodship Office in Wroclaw, at least 15 minutes before the scheduled meeting with the completed application and the necessary attachments listed on the service card. 
3. During the telephone registration, the foreigner gives his / her name, surname and passport number. The foreigner is given a specific day and an hour of a visit.
4. The booking time of a visit is approximate. Service may be subject to minor changes, depending on the end of service of a previous customer.
5. Coming after the appointed time of the meeting (after taking into account point 2 of this manual) will result in automatic cancellation.
6. The reservation of the visit concerns only the person to whom personal data the reservation was made.
7. During one phone call it is possible to arrange a visit of one person. For family bookings please inform us while booking, as it will be necessary for each person to obtain a separate reservation.
8. Any form of exchanging a reservation with another person or making the reservation for someone else is not allowed.
9. In case of resigning from a visit to the voivodship office after prior appointment, please cancel your reservation by the day before the appointment, by calling the telephone number which you used for making the reservation. This will enable other waiting people to use the appointment time.

more info: