Applying for a visa

An EU student can enter Poland with ID document (a valid travel document e.g. passport) or another document certifying identity and citizenship. If a student intends to visit Poland's neighboring countries (not all of them are EU Member States), a passport is recommended. For stay up to 3 months no legalization of stay is necessary. For stay exceeding 3 months an EU student has to register the residence. In case of students the registration is issued for one year (possibility to prolong). The document is issued by the Department of Citizens Affairs of the Voivodeship Office (province administration, Urząd Wojewódzki).

National Visa

Non-EU students can enter Poland on the basis of a valid travel document (passport) and a visa. A student of a non-EU country has to obtain a visa from the Polish Embassy or Consulate. A short-term visa entitles the holder to stay in Poland for up to 3 months, a long-term visa up to 1 year. Prolongation of a visa in Poland is possible only in cases of force majeure or situation impossible to foresee while applying for the visa in the consulate. The visa can be prolonged only once. National visa is usually given for the purpose of undertaking academic study.

In case of being granted a student visa, when you are traveling to Poland, please carry your acceptance letter from the university and other related documents. At the border control when entering Poland and consequently European Union first time, you will be asked what your purpose is and if necessary, requested to provide proof of that purpose. Student visa also allows you to travel in the Schengen zone up to 90 days only, and remember that with Polish national visa, your first entry to EU must be Poland. After getting stamp that you entered Poland, you may travel for e.g. to Germany, Slovakia for touristic purposes solely.