Useful information for full degree students


Applying for a visa

An EU student can enter Poland with ID document (a valid travel document e.g. passport) or another document certifying identity and citizenship. If a student intends to visit Poland's neighboring countries (not all of them are EU Member States), a passport is recommended. For stay up to 3 months no legalization of stay is necessary. For stay exceeding 3 months an EU student has to register the residence. In case of students the registration is issued for one year (possibility to prolong). The document is issued by the Department of Citizens Affairs of the Voivodeship Office (province administration, Urząd Wojewódzki).

National Visa

Non-EU students can enter Poland on the basis of a valid travel document (passport) and a visa. A student of a non-EU country has to obtain a visa from the Polish Embassy or Consulate. A short-term visa entitles the holder to stay in Poland for up to 3 months, a long-term visa up to 1 year. Prolongation of a visa in Poland is possible only in cases of force majeure or situation impossible to foresee while applying for the visa in the consulate. The visa can be prolonged only once. National visa is usually given for the purpose of undertaking academic study.

In case of being granted a student visa, when you are traveling to Poland, please carry your acceptance letter from the university and other related documents. At the border control when entering Poland and consequently European Union first time, you will be asked what your purpose is and if necessary, requested to provide proof of that purpose. Student visa also allows you to travel in the Schengen zone up to 90 days only, and remember that with Polish national visa, your first entry to EU must be Poland. After getting stamp that you entered Poland, you may travel for e.g. to Germany, Slovakia for touristic purposes solely.   



Notwithstanding the visa, after your coming to Poland you have to legalize your stay by applying for the temporary resident permit (TRP) before your visa expires. All international students staying in Poland longer than three months need to obtain TRP. The permit is issued for the period of your stay in Poland, but not longer than two years (usually first one is for 15 months).

Evidence of the permit is the Temporary Residence Card (TRC) is an identity card for foreigners in Poland and it (with a passport included) allows passing the border as often as required without having a visa.

If you are an EU student, there is no need to apply for this card, you only need to register your stay in Lower Silesian Governor’s Office (Urząd Wojewódzki we Wrocławiu) in cases when your stay exceeds 90 days.

If you are a non-EU student, you need to apply for this card before your visa expires. Based on the visa type and its valid duration, you must be aware of all the aspects of your legal stay in Poland throughout  study period. Until the expiry date of your visa, your stay in Poland is legal, however in order to prolong it, you either need to travel back to your home country to apply for another visa before it expires, or apply for Temporary Residence Card while in Poland. Temporary Residence Card is granted within 8-10 months (due to big numer of applicants) depending on complexity of the case. Original documents must be shown to the officer (Inspektor).

During the period when your application is being considered, you will be receiving letters from Inspektor, and make sure to follow and submit accurate information, and keep them. Also, while your application is being reviewed and that time your visa expires, you must not go out of Poland without getting a positive response and finally being granted residence permit. When your application is under consideration, and your visa is no longer valid, you are allowed to stay only within Poland until you get response from Urząd. You cannot travel in the Schengen zone either. If you cross the Polish border, you will not enter back without another visa issued by a Polish Embassy in your home country. Please familiarize yourself and read more about your legal status in Poland (depending on the citizenship you hold) in order to avoid unwanted situations. 

All documents in any other language than Polish should be translated by a certified translator into Polish language.

Please follow the link below and download "wniosek o zezwolenie na pobyt czasowy":

In order to obtain any more information, please see the link:

Please remember that you need to book a meeting slot in Urzad Wojewodzki, more info:

useful info: 


The University can provide International Students with double at one of our student residences called "Ołówek", "Kredka",  "Dwudziestolatka", "Słowianka" and "Parawanowiec" which are situated in the city center. You can check the photos in the album.

Price List

The following prices are valid from 1st July, 2023 r. for accommodation in the halls of residence of the University of Wrocław (for students and PhD students):

Prices for new academic year are announced every year in July.



  • one month, double room: 780 PLN 
  • one month, single room: 1350 PLN 




  • one month, double room: 780 PLN
  • one month, single room: 1350 PLN 




  • one month, double room: 672 PLN
  • one month, double room (more square metre space): 720 PLN 
  • one month, single room: 1020 PLN

  • one month, double room: 690 PLN
  • one month, double room (more square metre space): 729 PLN
  • one month, single room: 1050 PLN




  • one month, double room: 630 PLN
  • one month, single room: 999 PLN


The students and PhD students of the University of Wrocław and other domestic universities which signed the agreement pay the fee for accommodation without additional 8% VAT. Other students and PhD students pay additional 8% of VAT tax.


Renting a flat can cost from 2000 to 4000 PLN depending on the number of rooms. A cheaper option is to rent a room or shared room (from 700 to 1500 PLN). For detailed information on accommodation options and the costs of transport, food, sports and entertainment please see here.

If you start full-degree studies in English  at the  University of Wroclaw as an international student please know that you need to apply for dormitory directly by the website by which you apply for studies. After payment of tuition fee you will receive Final Admission documents and an option to apply for dorm will be visible on your account.   

Arrival to Wrocław

The cheapest way to get to the Dormitory from the Airport or from Main Railway Station (Wrocław Głowny) is to use a bus or a tram.

There is a very useful website which will help you in finding your way. You just need to fill out "traveling from"  (for Airport put: PORT LOTNICZY, for main railway Station: DWORZEC GŁ. PKP)  and "traveling to" (address of your hotel) fields  and the program will find you connection and time of departure.

You can of course take a taxi, the cost is around 15€ or 20€  from the airport to the city centre and 5€ or 10€ from the main station. It is better to ask about the price before you take a taxi just to avoid dishonest drivers.


Wroclaw has an extensive public transport network. Unfortunately we don't have an underground, but we do have a well-developed tramway system.
Trams do not run during the night, whereas buses run around the clock (not all of them, of course, as there's no need for that).
In Wroclaw there are daytime normal routes, designated by black numbers from 100 do 149, and express routes, designated by red letters: A, C, D, E, K, and N. Suburban routes are numbered 604 to 623.Night routes are designated by black numbers from 240 to 259; night buses run only once an hour.

Public transport fares:

  • Single-trip (regular fare) 4,60 zł
  • 15-minute, all lines within and outside city limits (regular fare) 3,20 zł
  • 30-minute, all lines within and outside city limits (regular fare) 4,00 zł
  • 60-minute, all lines within and outside city limits (regular fare) 5,20 zł
  • 90-minute, all lines within and outside city limits (regular fare) 7,00 zł
  • 24-hour, all  lines within and outside city limits (regular fare) 15,00 zł
  • 48-hour, all lines within and outside city limits (regular fare) 26,00 zł
  • 72-hour, all  lines within and outside city limits (regular fare) 32,00 zł
  • 168-hour, all lines within and outside city limits (regular fare) 54,00zł

You can buy it in special machines which you can find at almost every bus and tram stops.

Upon your arrival you can buy single-trip tickets in newsagents at the Airport or at the Main Station. You can also buy it in bus and tram useing special machine (you can pay by card only).

After entering the bus or the tram you must validate your ticket.

There is also a very useful website if you want to travel by train. You just need to fill out " from"  (for e.g WARSZAWA CENTRALNA - main station in Warsaw)  and " to" (WROCŁAW GŁÓWNY - main station in Wrocław) fields and the program will find you the best connection and the time of departure.

Living Costs







600-1000 zł/ 
140-230 €

1000-2000 zŁ/
230-460 €

2500< zł/
595< €


400-600 zł/
95-140 €

140-185 €

800< zł/
185< €

Semester ticket for public transport

145-185 zł/
34-42 €* semester price, not monthly price

145-185 zł/ 
34-42 €

145-185 zł/ 
34-42 €

Other Expenses

200-300 zł/
45-70 €

70-105 €

450 zł and more/
105 €


1345 - 2085 zł/
310-485 €

2045-3435 zł/
470-795 €

3935 zł and more/

Approximate food prices:

  • bread -1 loaf- 2,50-3,00 PLN/0,72-0,86 EUR
  • butter - 3,50-5,00 PLN/0,88-1,25 EUR /200 g
  • eggs - 0,50 PLN/0,15 EUR/each
  • meat - 10-30 PLN/2,60-7,25 EUR/kg
  • cheese - 12-40 PLN/3,40-11,00 EUR/kg
  • fruit - 2,50-15 PLN/0,62 - 4,20 EUR/kg
  • mineral water - 2,50 PLN/0.70 EUR/1,5 l bottle

Additional expenses:

  • Phone bills 25-100 PLN/6-23 EUR
  • Cinema ticket 18-25 PLN/4,2-6 EUR
  • Concert/festivals 50-150 PLN/11-35 EUR

Please bear in mind that the table shows approximate numbers and they vary vastly depending on your lifestyle, personal financial management and your priorities.

Medical Insurance

Health services in Poland are available for students from the EU or EFTA member countries, provided that they have valid medical insurance in the national insurance system of any EU or EEC member country. A valid passport, student Identity Card or doctoral student Identity Card and a valid Medical Insurance European Card entitles its holder to medical care services free of charge.

If possible it is recommended that students purchase their own international medical insurance prior to arrival in Poland. Otherwise students from non-EU or non-EFTA countries are required to sign a voluntary health insurance agrement with the National Health Fund (NFZ) and pay their own insurance fees. Detailed information about NFZ is available at

National Health Fund (NFZ), ul. Dawida St. 2, 50-527 Wrocław. Mon-Fri 08:00-16:00

In order to process and obtain health insurance from NFZ, you need student card, certificate from Dean’s Office confirming your student status and its duration, and a passport.

After signing a paper of application for health insurance, you usually wait up to two weeks and then go back to NFZ and sign the contract. With this contract, you go to ZUS Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych, to process and register this contract. You pay 55,80 PLN per month, until 15th of each month in Poczta Polska or through bank transfer. It is advisable to pay at the post office in case you will go to hospital you shall show the payment of your insurance in order to be entitled to medical services. The contract does not have expiration date, for it stops being valid when you do not pay the monthly fee.

As this insurance is valid only in Poland, if you want to travel to other EU countries you will need European Health Insurance Card which is given on the basis of NFZ insurance. The card is issued for two months period for international students in Poland and needs to be updated in order to be relevant. 

There is also possibility of buying private turistic insurance valid in Poland from your home country or look for private insurance from Poland for foreigners (for exapmle AXA ASSISTANCE).

Emergency Numbers

If something bad happens, you should phone the police or go to the nearest police station. You cannot expect the policemen to speak English fluently, so if you don't feel comforta­ble with your Polish skills, ask a Polish friend to go there with you. If there is nobody to go with you, remember that the police are obliged to provide you with a sworn translator.

We know that many of you will take a trip to the Polish mountains. In the Tatra, which are over 2000 meters high, you should be especially prepared to contact the mountain emergency service GOPR if things go awry. Always have your mobile with you and in case of emergency call 0601 100 300. There is also an emer­gency service in the lakes area, Maz­ury: 0601 100 100 (Mazurska Służba Ratownicza).

If you lose your passport, you have to contact your embassy to get a replacement. Keep a photo­copy of your passport (pages with your picture and visa) just in case. If you lose any of your home country documents - passport, ID, Student ID - you will need to obtain a police certificate for this. You can get one at a police station.


112 - emergency number for all the three - police, fire and ambulance service

999 - emergency ambulance service

997 - police

998 - fire department

Calling these numbers is free of charge both from a phone box and mobile. You can dial them even if you do not have any credit on your mobile, and even without entering the PIN code.


Here are the adresses of some medical centers in Wroclaw:

Specjalistyczna Przychodnia Lekarska VITA ul. Oławska 15, Tel: 071 34 33 556
Information and registry open 7:30–19:00

DOLMED, ul. Legnicka 40, Tel: 071 35 93 354, 071 35 93 356

Prywatne Centrum Medyczne PROMEDIS, ul. Oławska 27-29

Tel: 071 34 19 664, 071 34 19 666

Centrum Medyczne PRACTIMED, ul. Pabianicka 25

Tel: 071 79 83 679

Public hospitals 
Akademicki Szpital Kliniczny im. Jana Mikulicza-Radeckiego
ul. Borowska 213 
50 - 556 Wrocław

Dolnośląski Szpital Specjalistyczny im. T.Marciniaka 
- Centrum Medycyny Ratunkowej
ul. R.Traugutta 116
50-420 Wrocław

IV Wojskowy Szpital Kliniczny 
ul. R. Weigla 5
50-981 Wrocław

Samodzielny Publiczny Szpital Kliniczny Nr 1
50-369 Wrocław
ul. M. Curie-Skłodowskiej 58

Wojewódzki Szpital Specjalistyczny 
ul. Kamieńskiego 73 A
51-124 Wrocław

Wojewódzki Szpital Specjalistyczny im. J.Gromkowskiego
ul. Koszarowa 5 
51-149 Wrocław
tel. (071) 326-13-25

Private hospitals
EMC S.A. Instytut Medyczny Szpital
ul. Pilczycka 144-148
54-144 Wrocław

Bank Account

If you wish, you can open a bank account in one of the Polish banks. The only one document needed to open your personal bank account is a passport. The nearest bank facility from the University Main Building is a Santander Bank Polska.


ul. Kuźnicza 17/19

Foreign Language Courses

If you wish to develop your language skills in other foreign languages like English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Russian.

please see the website of Studium Praktycznej Nauki Języków Obcych and check the time and place of the entrance exam:


pl. Nankiera 2/3

Library Access

You must pre-register online at the website

After filling and submitting an electronic form, no sooner than after 1/2 hour, one should go to the Local Lending Department of the University Library (Fryderyka Joliot-Curie 12 St.) with the following documents: electronic student's ID cardstudent's obligation card (to be obtained in your Dean's office), and identification document in order to activate library account.

Website of the Wrocław University Library 

There are other public libraries in the city such as Ossolineum Library, which is one of the largest scientific centres in Poland, and Public Library of Lower Silesia, both located within few minutes of walk from the main building of our university.


If you often use trams and buses, it is a good idea to apply for the URBANCARD or during academic year, you can activate urbancard throughout your student ID. In bus and tram stops, there are separate ticket machines where you can put your student card and buy a discounted semester ticket which is 185 zł for five months (one semester). Therefore, student card will also be your urban card. There are other options available as well. For more details, please check website:

Sport classes

at the University Centre for Physical Education and Sport

(Uniwersyteckie Centrum Wychowania Fizycznego i Sportu)

  • International students can choose classes from the list of 36 sport disciplines.
  • Students can sign in for one class only (2 hours once a week, in total 30 hours per semester)
  • Most of classes are free of charge (the list of the charged ones please check below)

Uniwersyteckie Centrum Wychowania Fizycznego i Sportu

ul. Przesmyckiego 10, room B 51-148 Wrocław

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 - 14:00

Tel. 71  375 6262 e-mail:


To register for sport class please visit the Sport Center


Uniwersyteckie Centrum Wychowania Fizycznego i Sportu

ul. Przesmyckiego 10, room B

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 - 14:00

Tel. 71  375 6262 e-mail:


Regular classes (Zajęcia podstawowe):

free of charge:

  • Aerobics
  • Aikido
  • Outdoor athletics (Atletyka terenowa)
  • Badminton
  • Body styling
  • Callanetics
  • Circuit training
  • Gym work (Ćwiczenia siłowe)
  • AGG - Aesthetic Group Gymnastics with music (Gimnastyka estetyczna)
  • Regular gymnastics (Gimnastyka podstawowa)
  • Hatha yoga
  • Karate
  • Korfball
  • Horse riding  (Jeździectwo)
  • Nordic walking
  • Pilates
  • Basketball (Piłka koszykowa)
  • Soccer (Piłka nożna)
  • Handball (Piłka ręczna)
  • Volleyball (Piłka siatkowa)
  • Step
  • Stretching body
  • Tai Chi Chuan
  • Table tennis (Tenis stołowy)
  • Indoor Hockey (Unihokej)

Charged classes:

  • Swimming (Pływanie): pływalnia WCS:  - 230 zł / semester, pływalnia AZS - 210 zł / semester,
  • Tennis - 230 zł / semester
  • Squash - 210 zł semester
  • Rowing (wioślarstwo) - 140 zł 
  • Climbing (Wspinaczka) - 220 zł


Advanced classes (SEKCJE):

for students actively training one of the below disciplines and/or taking part in competitions and who would like to represent the University of Wrocław in Wrocław, in the region, in the country,trainings twice a week (2hx2) signing in by an individual appointment with a coach during the class hours

  • Aerobics
  • Badminton
  • Bowling
  • Karate
  • Korfball
  • Athletics and running
  • Skiing and snowboard
  • Women's basketball
  • Men's basketball
  • Women's volleyball
  • Men's volleyball
  • Women's soccer
  • Men's soccer
  • Swimming
  • Tennis
  • Table tennis
  • Rowing
  • Climbing

Student Card

Student ID card (Legitymacja studencka) is the most important document for each student. You need legitymacja to borrow books from the libraries, to obtain discounts on public transport, cinema and museum tickets etc. You can get your legitymacja in the Dean's Office of your Faculty (Dziekanat) once the academic year officialy commences and you register in the International Office. 

Student identity card entitles to a 50% discount on public transport in the city and a 51% discount on national railways (only when under the age of 26).

USOS web account

USOSweb is your individual account where you can check if you are registered for the courses you’ve signed in and in the end of each semester you can check your grades. You can also check there the teacher name and his/her office hours and contact data.

To log in to your USOS for the first time you have to use your student number (written on student ID) and restore the password.

In case of any problems with USOSweb you should contact the USOS office: or your Programme Coordinator.


What is eduroam?

Eduroam is the secure service which allows students, staff and researchers from participating institutions get access to the WiFi network. Eduroam allows users to use their own credentials (login and password) from their home institution in every place where this network is accessible.

You can find more information on the webpage

How can I get access to eduroam at the University of Wroclaw?

If you are our student or a member of university staff, you have an account (login and password) in the Office 365 system, which can be used to login to the eduroam network as well. All you need is just a little configuration on your network device (computer, mobile, tablet etc.)

Many times I've been using the WiFi network and it's been damn easy. Why now does it sound so complicated (accounts, configuration, supplicants, certificates)?

Contrary to many other WiFi networks, where password is shared among many users or its lifetime and range are limited, getting access to eduroam you have to type your own login and your secret password. That’s why you have to be sure that your credentials are kept secure even when you are visiting other institution (university). In eduroam your credentials are never shared or locally checked but are forwarded to your home institution and only there they can be verified and validated.

I'm a guest at the University of Wroclaw, I was using eduroam at my home university, do I have to reconfigure my computer to get access here.

No. You don't.

Even if you got an access to our services (ex. USOSWeb or Office 365), but you still have account at your home institution, you should use that account and configuration and you don't need to change anything.

How can I configure my computer to connect to eduroam?

Most of the new OS (Operating System) like Windows 8.1 (and newer), Androids and Apple OS X, have all the features which are needed to connect to eduroam. Some of them require quite mysterious configuration (Android, see instruction below the text),  others working at default (Windows 10), but for the security reasons it's advisable to download the Configuration Assistant Tool (CAT) from the webpage To do it, click the link "Download your eduroam installer", then choose "University of Wroclaw" from the list.

What is my login?

Your eduroam login is simply your email address in the Office 365 account. It consists of two parts: your student number (index_numer) plus (our university domain name). For example:

Bear in mind, that using our inner systems for instance USOSWeb ( is possible to type only your student_number as a login name, but in systems like eduroam or e-mail, which can be use all over the world, the login name must be globally unique and always must be written with the domain name

What is my password?

I hope that you've already read the answer to the previous question. If you are using (successfully) your university e-mail (student, you should use the same credentials in eduroam. The default password to that system was sent to your private e-mail account, which you gave us enrolling to our university. If you lost that e-mail or don’t remember you password to office 365 email account you can change it on the webpage: After feeling up a short reset password form you will find an e-mail with the reset code in that private email box.

Be aware that the USOSWeb account, although looks similar, is different from Office 365, and shouldn’t be used in the eduroam network.

It is advisable to login in office 365 ( before using eduroam, to make sure that your password is correct and your account is fully functional.

The default password, which was sent to your private e-mail account can and should be changed. It’s quite complicated so it’s better to use a method “copy” and “paste” instead of rewriting it. A new password must fulfill password requirement policy, so it must:

  • Be a minimum of eight (8) characters in length
  • Be memorized; if a password is written down it must be secure
  • Contain at least one (1) character from three (3) of the following categories:
    • Uppercase letter (A-Z)
    • Lowercase letter (a-z)
    • Digit (0-9)
    • Special character (~`!@#$%^&*()+=_-{}[]\|:;”’?/<>,.)
  • Be private

Where can I find more information?

On the webpage are more detail instructions for other systems.

You can also write and email to

Nothing works. I'm desperate...

If all else fails, we will try to help. You can visit our office with your device (computer, phone, tablet). Our address:

Centrum Usług Informatycznych (Computer Services Centre),

Pl. Maxa Borna 9, Room number 450,

Mon – Fri,  from 9 am to 2 pm


NOMADA is a human rights organisation based in Wroclaw. They are focused on immigrants, foreigners and ethnic or religious minorities. They want to break stereotypes and prejudices and they strive to shape attitudes of solidarity between people of different backgrounds and social status. Through their activities, they attempt to create relationships based on mutual understanding and good communication.

NOMADA’s main activities are: development and educational projects, monitoring and advocacy, interventional assistance and legal support. They also release publications, hold trainings, conferences and debates.

NOMADA offers free of charge counselling service for migrants:

The scope of support that they provide responds to the needs most often reported to them by their clients and covers: legal advice on residency issues; support for people who have experienced bias motivated crimes; working with Romanian Roma community living in Wroclaw. Counseling is carried out both at the office and in the field – NOMADA experts assist migrants during visits to the offices, at the doctors, at the police or in court. They also act as language and cultural translators. They ensure full anonymity to their clients.



ul. Paulińska 4/8
Wrocław 50-247
71 307 03 35

Office hours:
Monday: 16.00-19.00
Thursday: 16.00-19.00

Psychological support

Psychological consultations and psychological counseling is designed for people who are struggling with various kinds of difficulties or crises. It is for people who are experiencing depressed mood, anxiety, shyness, helplessness, who are experiencing problems in relationships with loved ones (partner, family, peers), for those which couldn’t cope with stress, studying, have concentrating troubles or have some problems with adaptation to the new environment.

Psychological consultations are simply helping to solve various kinds of crises and difficult situations – it is not identical with psychotherapy. Any person may sometimes need this kind of psychological suport.

Any person who will enroll for a consultations can take advantage of the free meetings with a psychologist.

Consultation and psychological support possible online during the coronavirus epidemic - contact:

Mobile Apps

UWr Jungle Book app 

App with all seful information for applicants and students of the University of Wroclaw. 

Apple App Store Google Play


For Bachelor of Business and Administration, Master of Administration in International Organizations, LL.M. International and European Law and Master of Managerial Economics programmes, you can check out the details in a mobile app:

Apple App Store Google Play


If you are looking for some useful information about your stay in Wroclaw, please download our guide book called Jungle Book.


Ombudsman for Equal Treatment and Anti-Discrimination

Ariel Przybyłowicz is a doctor of law specialising in labour law and social security law. Since 2014 he has also been a legal advisor with experience in, among others, mobbing cases. Since November 2021, he has been acting as the Ombudsman for Equal Treatment and Anti-Discrimination at the University of Wrocław.

The tasks of the Ombudsman for Equal Treatment and Anti-Discrimination at the University of Wrocław include:

  • taking actions for equal treatment and equal opportunities for the entire academic community
  • taking action to eliminate all forms of discrimination and unequal treatment in UWr
  • taking action to disseminate knowledge on compliance with the principles of equal treatment, in particular in the form of meetings or trainings addressed to the university community
  • supporting the university community in the implementation of existing anti-discrimination procedures

If you are conducting research or your scientific interests are focused on equality issues, write to:


Ombudsman for Equal Treatment and Anti-Discrimination at the University of Wrocław
dr Ariel Przybyłowicz
phone: +48 71 375 24 84, 603 703 586